TLILIC2015 Licence to drive a medium rigid vehicle

COURSE OVERVIEW - This unit addresses the knowledge and skill necessary to obtain a Medium Rigid Drivers Licence. It includes systematic and efficient control of all vehicle functions, monitoring of traffic and road conditions, management of vehicle condition and performance and effective management of hazardous situations.


VEHICLE CLASS - MR - Medium Rigid

A two (2) axle rigid truck, not being a prime mover, above 8 tonnes GVM or
A two (2) axle bus above 8 tonnes GVM



  • Road Rules and Compliance

  • Pre-Operational Checks

  • Cabin Drill

  • Start Vehicle

  • Steering Management

  • Gear Management

  • Brake & Accelerator Management

  • Crash Avoidance Space

  • Reversing

  • Hill Start/Stops

  • Load Securing

  • Shutdown & Secure Vehicle


PRE-REQUISITES - To upgrade to this licence class you must have held a car licence for 1 year (not a learner)


DURATION - 1 day, 8:00am - 4:00pm & a 1/2 day either 8:00am - 11:30am or 12:30pm - 4:00pm



  • At the time of enrolment you must disclose any medications or disability which may affect your learning or driving ability

  • You must have held a class c – car licence for a period of 1 year

  • You must understand and speak the English language at a level that enables the safe performance of driving a heavy vehicle

  • You must supply your current drivers licence and 1 other form of ID. i.e. Medicare card


ASSESSMENT - After the participant is trained/instructed on each competency they are assessed when the instructor feels they are competent or ready for assessment. Should the participant be deemed not competent, under legislation the assessor must wait an hour before re-assessing the participant in the same competency. Additional fees apply.


LICENCES & CERTIFICATION - This course is Nationally Recognised Training and applicants deemed competent at the conclusion of the course will be provided with a Statement of Attainment and the appropriate Licensing Body’s – Licence Application form. This application is to be lodged at VicRoads or the RMS and incurs an additional licence fee.